Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Don't talk anything about child in front of them

 They are listening, even when you think they’re not.

“He’s so difficult.” “She is so shy.” “He never listens.” “She’s always been a terrible eater.” When we repeatedly talk about children this way in front of them, we’re not simply describing a behavior. We’re giving them information about who they are. Children are still building their self-concept, and the language of the adults around them is part of that process. Research has also documented self-fulfilling effects of adult expectations: what adults expect from a child can sometimes contribute to behaviors that confirm those expectations. Eventually, “Mom says I’m shy” can become “I’m shy.” “Dad says I never listen” can become “I don’t listen.” That’s why in Montessori we don’t talk about children as if they weren’t there. If you need to discuss a struggle, behavior, or concern with another adult, have that conversation privately. Talk to children about what they do. Be careful telling them who they are. 🤍

No comments:

Post a Comment